Savvy Interactive Music Publishing are pleased to present the “How To Learn To Improvise” series of music tuition books by award winning jazz educator Buster Birch. These interactive digital books are each dedicated to different concepts and techniques used for improvising and include Concert Pitch, Bb Pitch, Eb Pitch and Bass Clef versions of each book, making them useful for virtually all instruments.
Drawing on his years of experience teaching improvisation to adult learners, school children and music conservatoire students he presents a simple a step by step guide to developing the skills required for improvising. As well as clear instruction and a logical pathway these books include many practical exercises, which are tried and tested methods, in all 12 keys with notation and audio play-along files at different tempos embedded directly in to the book.
The “How To Learn To Improvise” series of music tuition books are meant for…
• Musicians who have little or no experience with improvising and do not know where to start.
• Musicians who have some experience of improvising but want a less “hit and miss” approach.
• More experienced improvisers who want a thorough and rigorous practice method to improve their improvising skills in all 12 keys and can be used as a great warm up routine.
• Music teachers who want to include improvisation in their lessons, but have little experience in how to teach it.
How To Learn To Improvise using Minor Pentatonic Scales is written for any musicians on any instrument interested in learning how to learn to improvise. Unlike a lot of other available material on this subject it isn’t just about the theory. It is about the process of learning and provides a series of practical exercises that break down, what can feel like for some, a huge leap in to small manageable steps. It is a tried and tested practical method that is thorough and gradually moves the student away from playing scales up and down to creating melodic phrases and gives them the confidence to improvise and not get lost in the form.
This interactive digital book includes...
• Clear guidance and instruction for each exercise and harmonic analysis showing how each scale fits with each chord sequence
• 189 pages
• 369 notated musical examples
• A thorough practice routine and series of exercises in all 12 keys
• 1340 play-along audio files embedded directly in the book
• 7 different backing tracks for practicing improvising in various different styles, including Swing, Bossa Nova, Pop and Blues, with all exercises in all 12 keys
For Eb Pitch
Suitable for all Eb Pitch instruments including:
Alto Sax, Baritone Sax.
"Highly recommended for players new to improvising and looking for an engaging way to get started with this component of Jazz vocabulary. Buster has created a well thought-out and easy to follow guide with embedded audio examples that make it very immediate and interactive. It comes in Eb and Bb as well as the Concert keys and will make a valuable on-the-go addition to your practice routines.”
Nick Smart, Head of Jazz, Royal Academy of Music
“This is a great resource, both for beginners and more advanced students (it’s always good to go backwards!). Buster arranges this in a way that introduces ideas logically and slowly, and yet still allows for creativity and invention in their application. The interactive elements are extremely helpful and allow lots of play and practice!”
Liam Noble (Professor of Jazz Piano at Birmingham Conservatoire & Trinity College of Music)