*** Version 5: updated for macOS Big Sur ***
macOS Catalina changes the default shell from bash to zsh.
zsh will succeed bash as the default shell. bash has been the default shell in Mac OS X Terminal since the introduction of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther in 2003.
Like many other Mac users, I have been using bash as the main shell for the last 16 years. In this book, I will document my experiences moving bash settings, configurations and scripts over to zsh.
This books explains
- why Apple is changing the shell
- implications for infrequent and expert Terminal users
- how to move from bash to zsh
- configuring zsh to be more productive
- moving scripts from bash to zsh
This books is based on and expands the successful blog post series on scriptingosx.com, scripting classes and presentations. All the topics will be illustrated with lots of useful examples and practical applications.